The Club is open to all local residents in the Pill,
Easton-in-Gordano, Abbots Leigh, Portbury, Portishead and the wider community.
There is an annual membership fee and visitors are very welcome to any of our club meetings for a small charge.
The Club meets at 7.30pm on the third Wednesday of each month at
St. Georges Hall, Easton-in-Gordano
PRESIDENT : Derek Robertson
Chairperson : Annie Morris
Secretary : Moya Ayling
Treasurer : Cecelia Smith
Show Secretary : Donna Butcher
Sheila Shute, Valerie Burnett, Joan Magga, Sylvia Ford
We are a thriving, friendly club which holds monthly meetings to exchange ideas, chat about our gardening and glean information and tips from our wide range of interesting speakers’
We also organise trips to gardens in the area as well as week-away every other year to visit gardens in another part of the country. In 2018 we visited the Sussex area and in 2020 plans are being made to visit Norfolk. On alternate years in June we have an evening walk around members gardens.
1. In addition to free entry to the monthly Club Nights the following benefits are available to all members:
2. Club Coach Outings to places of gardening interest take place two or three times a year with advantage of group booking concessions. Details will be displayed on the notice board at club nights - book early to ensure your place. Organisers: Sheila Shute in conjunction with other committee members.
3. Also occasional Gardening away holidays.
4. Brackenwood Nursery, Abbots Leigh. Show your membership card before purchase, to receive a 10% discount on PLANTS.
5. From time to time the Club is able to offer discounted rates on other gardening items, announcements at Club nights as appropriate
1. The Club shall be called "The Pill & District Gardening Club".
2. The objectives of the Club shall be to encourage the cultivation and exhibition of flowers, fruits and vegetables, and to foster interest in horticulture in general and in the local environment.
3. The Officers of the Club shall consist of a Chairperson, Vice Chairperson, Hon. Treasurer, Hon. Secretary, Show Secretary, Publicity Officer and four Committee Members.
4. The management of the Club shall be vested in the Committee who shall have power to appoint Sub-Committees. The Chairperson, Vice Chairperson, Hon. Treasurer, Hon. Secretary, Show Secretary and Publicity Officer shall be deemed members of the Executive Committee and have power to vote on all questions.
5. Five members of Committee shall form a quorum and in the absence of the Chairperson and Vice Chairperson, those present shall appoint an acting Chairperson. In the case of an equality of votes, the chairperson then acting shall have a second or casting vote.
6. Membership subscriptions shall be the sums determined at the Annual General Meeting. The subscription period shall run from the Annual General Meeting for 12 months. New members joining on or after the 1st August will be entitled to pay half the current annual subscription rate.
7. The financial year shall end on 31st December and the Annual General Meeting shall not be later than the fourth Wednesday in February, at which the Hon. Treasurer will present a balance sheet and a statement of accounts duly audited and signed together with an inventory of the club's assets. The Chairperson shall give a report of the previous year's working.
8.. The election of Officers and Committee shall take place at the Annual General Meeting. Nominations for Officers and Committee shall reach the Hon. Secretary prior to that meeting and voting shall be by show of hands or by ballot as the meeting may decide.
9. Nomination of the President shall be on the recommendation of the Committee and put to the vote of the club members at the next Annual General Meeting. The approved nominee will retire at the end of three years but eligible for re-election.
10. The Committee shall have the power to fill any vacancy on the Committee but must report it at the next ordinary meeting of members. The Committee may also c0-opt a person or persons to the committee or Sub-Committee for any special purpose.
11. The Hon. Treasurer shall keep a record of all members of the Club and record therein annual subscriptions and all transactions. A copy of the records shall be open for inspection by the Committee at any meeting.
12. The assets of the Club shall be vested in the Committee. They shall deal with such assets and property as directed by resolutions of the Committee and entered in the Minute Book.
13. No alteration of rules or additions to same shall be made, except at the Annual General Meeting or at a special meeting called for that purpose. A notice of proposed alterations of rules or of any new rules shall be given in writing to the Hon. Secretary, not later than 28 days before the Annual General or Special Meeting. The members shall receive at least seven days notice prior to the meeting at which the alterations is to be proposed.
14. The drafting and operation of Show Regulations including definition of classes shall be the responsibility of the Committee.
15. Any decision to wind up the Club can be made only at a special meeting of members called for that purpose of which all paid up members shall have not less than fourteen days notice. The resolution to wind up must be supported by the votes of at least two thirds of the members present at that meeting.
16. The Committee shall have the power to deal with any matter affecting the Club which is not included in the foregoing rules.